Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Kidney Stone

Thursday night, I went to bed thinking I had a Urinary Tract Infection. I took some over-the-counter meds. and drank a large glass of cranberry juice before I fell to sleep. Around 3:15am, I jolted awake with a mysterious and severe pain in my lower left back. Initially, I thought it was UTI related and that I need a good bathroom session to feel better but over the next 20 minutes, the pain went quickly from a "8" to a "10." I woke up Ed at that point. He woke Dane and away we went to the closest ER. The pain from sitting in the car was unbearable. Luckily, it wasn't too far away and they weren't busy- my pain tolerance had hit the maximum I could stand. It hurt to breath. It hurt to stand. It hurt to sit. It HURT!

I don't remember much detail once we got to the ER. I know I was asked to pee in a cup and was only able to get out about 4 drops for them. My eyes were closed and I was focused on not screaming from the pain. A quick assessment from the doctor, 2 heavy duty pain pills and a shot later, I had my first CT scan. The result of which showed I had my first kidney stone.

So, I was sent home with 2 kinds of pain meds,  2 kinds of antibiotics, bladder relaxers, and a urine strainer. I was told the stone was small enough to pass on it's own and I should watch for it. They said it could take up to 2 to 3 days to pass.We left the ER around 7am. I was practically pain-free thanks to the meds!

I was able to sleep for a few hours once at the house. Then later that afternoon, without fan fair or pain, the stone passed. I only know because of the strainer. It is amazing that a 1.2 millimeter(ish) stone can cause that huge and intense pain.

After a good night's sleep on Friday night, I was back to 90% normal. Whew!

No comments: