Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

100th Birthday Celebration- Day 2

Saturday was the formal party day. Many family members and friends of the family arrived in New Braunfels for the celebration.

Different people took pictures with my camera. I am so glad they did. I have several good shots of O'ma with her family members in attendance.
Bob Symank (O'ma's brother/last living sibling) and O'ma.
Uncle Bob lives in Oregon. We were so happy he was able to make the trip!
Joyce and Charles Symank (O'ma's nephew and niece-in-law) and O'ma.
Craig and Susan Long (O'ma's granddaughter and grandson-in-law) and O'ma.
Craig and Susan flew in from Wisconsin.
My wild bunch with O'ma.
My wild bunch along with Briana, Clark's girlfriend. 
We were very happy to have her join us.
Lally and Wayne Jennings (O'ma's son and daughter-in-law) and O'ma.
 The Gause family with O'ma.
Jimmie Ann (O'ma's daughter) flew in from Iowa. Steve, Kyra, (O'ma's grandson and granddaughter-in-law) Spencer, and Claire (O'ma's great grandchildren) flew in from Nebraska. 
Kathy (O'ma's granddaughter) drove in from Conroe.
 The lunch was catered by Rudy's BBQ. There was sausage, brisket, creamed corn, beans, and fixings. It was very good. After everyone was finished eating, we moved to the entertainment part of the party.
I love this picture! O'ma is reading a letter that Willard Scott from the NBC Today Show wrote to her on the occasion of her 100th birthday. The letter was precious. (If I can get a copy, I will post it here later.) She teared up as she said "I knew I was special, but not this special."
Cake time!
There was chocolate and vanilla from which to choose! Yum!
O'ma blew both candles out! I wonder what she wished for?
And then she cut her own piece right out of the middle!
 While folks enjoyed their birthday cake, Wayne, Jimmie Ann, Laurie, and I sang the John Denver song, "For Baby/For Bobby." It is very special to serenade your 100 year old grandmother!
Then Mason accompanied me on guitar as I sang, "Sweet, Sweet Smile" by The Carpenters.
I am so glad I sang for O'ma. It is something I will treasure and remember for all my days. And what a treat to have my boy Mason playing by my side.
Here is O'ma's sweet, sweet smile as the song ended! Hooray to Ed for getting this photo! Special barely begins to describe it.
Wayne sang a song he wrote about his mother, O'ma. There wasn't a dry eye in the place by the end of the song!
That concluded the party. But there was an after party show in the lobby for anyone that wanted to hang around and listen to some more picking and singing.
 O'ma had a fun day. 
How lucky for us to be able to celebrate the special day with her!

 Several people worked hard to make the party a success. My part was the dessert table decorations (not the baking though). I hand made the board and cut all the pieces/letters that went in and on it. Ed built a PCV pipe stand to hold the board up. We did good! We were happy to contribute to making the party special!


No comments: