Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

UNT vs Rice

Photography can be used in several ways. Sometimes photos capture beauty. Sometimes they capture a specific object or set poses. Sometimes the capture a scene or history. And sometimes they capture emotion.

Yes, this post is about a football game- kind of. But the first two pictures are about emotions. I am so grateful that Ed snapped these first two pictures. They are so emotionally raw for me that it has taken me several days to even be able to post them here. (I didn't share them on Face Book either.) And still, as I look at them now, 6 days later, I am in tears. Read on....

We had not seen Clark since he left for Denton in August. When we found out the UNT vs Rice game was at the Rice stadium in downtown Houston, we were excited. When Clark told us he was coming to the game as part of the pep band, we bought tickets.

On Saturday, we arrived at the stadium and were in communication with Clark via text. The band had arrived and were at the buses getting instruments ready. So we milled around by the tailgaters, even scored some free pom-poms. Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of the Green Brigade uniform coming our way. Like a mama eagle, I was searching the line looking for my baby bird. When I saw him, I just took off! No thought, no plan, I was just lost in the moment!

I am in the corner of the first picture, waving my pom-pom, as I run to Clark. He has seen me, too. Look at his face!! This photo is all about Clark, his joy and excitement. He was so happy to see us. I also love the faces of the other band kids. Some of them smiling at my enthusiasm while some of them wondering if I am a crazed fan coming to attack them!
The second picture- be still my heart! I grabbed Clark up in a giant hug and held on. The band kids just went around us. It was such a genuine spontaneous moment. I don't even care that the picture prominently displays my back side. Just focus in Clark's beautiful happy smile!
Ok, tears over. On to the game!
We had a few minutes to visit inside the stadium before band duties called. We posed for a few photos.
Clark and Mini-Me
Ed helps with a missed button.
 The pep band's trombone section!
Clark, Elvis, Shelia, and Jamie
 With a little brother photo bomb!
Did I mention is was bright out?
 We grabbed an opportunity to get a photo with Scrappy!
 At half time UNT was leading the game. Yay!
More visiting pics with our favorite eagle.
Unfortunately, UNT lost the lead in the second half. Nonetheless, the fans still clapped, the band stilled played, and the cheerleaders still cheered.
 The game ended with the score of 41 to 21 with Rice for the win. It was a great day for the Limbaughs anyway!

No comments: