Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Birthday Week

My birthday fell on a Wednesday this year. On the actual day, I was home all day while the floor guys pulled up, glued, and re-laid the wood floor...... long story! But Mom came over with some ThunderClouds Subs and whole pickles for birthday lunch, so all was well.

That night, the girls took me to the Texan Cafe in Hutto for dinner and pie! Yum! We ended up at Super Target! How awesome is that?

On Thursday night, we all went to Schlotzsky's for birthday dinner. It was also the Highland Park Spirit night so we were able to hang with friends that night too.

Then on Saturday night, the big event! Mom came over to watch the boys while Ed and I, and friends, went to Spaghetti Warehouse for a Murder Mystery Dinner! This time, I took my camera!

The Murder Mystery was called, The Linguine Code. The 5 actors performed the mystery while we were served dinner. At the end, the guests were challenged to figure out "who dunnit!"

The actors in character-
Frederico Fillipo

Rita Rash
Dr. Ernest Morningside
Martha Morningside

Isabella Luna & Frederico Fillipo

The food- Well, Ed's food, anyway!Besides myself, there were two other girls celebrating their birthdays. We were called up and serenaded with a very short birthday song!

It was a fun night, good food, and great friends! And I am proud to say that my whole table solved the mystery correctly! And 4 of us were recognized by name for our great detective work! I have awesomely smart friends!

This evening was special for another reason as well. You see, the building that Spaghetti Warehouse has been in since 1974, was sold and the iconic Austin restaurant has to move . I have fond memories of this place. As a kid, I had an "Old Spaghetti Warehouse" T-shirt. Many family events and celebrations were held here over my life time. Ed and my wedding rehearsal dinner was held here in 1993! And my boys love this place. We celebrated Mason's rock camp concert with a meal here last summer. So, we took a couple of pictures in and around the restaurant for memory sake.

As it turned out, the restaurant was supposed to stay open through Easter Sunday. Instead, we learned upon arrival that the people at the Murder Mystery Dinner would be the last people to eat at this restaurant ever. Apparently, the entire kitchen staff, save one, quit on Saturday morning forcing the closure 2 days early. Luckily, our dinner event was not canceled!

Inside the lobby-

Inside the entrance to the main seating area-

Inside the trolley car that sits in the middle of the restaurant-
Goodbye trolley!
Goodbye Spaghetti Warehouse! I hope you find another location in which to reopen!
My birthday week came to a full circle on Sunday with the New Braunfels family coming up to celebrate with me. We went out for birthday dinner to the Golden Wok. Yumm! I love the Pad Thai with combo meat and a crispy spring roll!

So here I am at another year of age. Since I count backwards now, I am happy to tell you all that I turned 36 this year! Happy birthday to me, Spring Chicken that I am!!

Here is a newspaper article about the Murder Mystery.
In
The Linguini Code, competing pasta makers are engaged in a comical tale of industrial espionage, and a race for the “holy grain” of pasta. Clandestine maneuvering suddenly becomes secondary when a murder takes place. The audience is challenged to solve the murder, and must also solve a few word puzzles that complete the solution.
The Capital City Mystery Players has been offering their popular murder mystery dinner theatre events since 1991. The troupe produces several different productions each year, all with audience participation and lots of surprises.

Here is a newspaper article about the history of Spaghetti Warehouse-
“The Austin location was the third one in the chain’s history. Opened in 1974, and built in 1902, it used to be a grocery warehouse, and during prohibition, was a brothel. Two chandeliers from New York City’s Penn Station reside there as well as the original box office from Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, California.”

No comments: