Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

Ed is changing jobs

I tossed my hat over the fence today.

Sometimes in life you come to a fence, and you think to yourself, "I wonder what it's like over there." But you really don't have a convincing reason to cross the fence and find out.

So you toss you hat over the fence. Now you have to go get it. That's a good incentive to make a solid go of it and really find out what's on the other side.

So today I tossed my hat over the fence: I gave notice of my resignation from Applied Research Laboratories (ARL) after more than 10 years. At the end of October, I will begin a new job as a project engineer for a company called Ticom-Geomatics here in Austin, Texas.

It was a really touch decision, because for many years I loved working at ARL. I have had so many fantastic experiences and learned more than I thought I would. I have worked with really terrific, smart people. And I've had some great adventures along the way as well.

Even so, I found myself looking for some new challenges. I was very fortunate to land a role at Ticom. I will shift away from managerial responsibilities and take a more technical role guiding projects. I'm excited about the role because I'll learn an entirely new field, moving from sonar (acoustic work) to radio frequency (electromagnetic) work.

I'll share more about the job as the time gets closer. I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm moving on from ARL. Things will be pretty exciting around here, especially for Lisa, who will need to adjust to a new schedule.

No comments: